This post is a little much for me, b/c it's out of the ordinary for me to really write how I feel about certain things, but this is something that's on my mind. First of all, I really like our new ward. Not so much the start time at 8:30 am, but we'll get used to it real soon again! The ward has been real welcoming, friendly, and social. We are so happy to be in the new ward and are looking forward for opportunities to serve and to get to know the new ward better! In Relief Society women were sharing ideas/personal experience on how we can better share the gospel. One lady shared her experience of going into a Christian supplies store one day. Here in Colorado there are plenty of "family" Christian stores, such as Mardel's. Curt and I have never been of course, because we usually go to the one and only Deseret Bookstore. Back to the story, the lady said she was shopping in one of the Christian bookstores and had found some books she was looking for. Then she came across a whole display/rack of ANTI-Mormon literature! I was taken aback when I heard this!!! I NEVER would have thought they'd have that in one of those stores! The lady said she put down her books and headed for the door. On her way out, One of the store workers asked her if she had found everything she needed and she replied, "Yes I did, and then some!" She continued to tell the sales person that she was offended they were selling Anti-Mormon literature and the sales person proceeded to tell HER what SHE believes. Well, haven't we all heard that before! He continued to tell her Mormons are not Christians and we don't believe in the same Jesus and teachings. She told him she believes in Jesus Christ and has taken His name upon her and strives to follow and live His teachings daily. They kept going back and forth and she said the Spirit was so strong she left in tears. She wasn't arguing to prove a "point", but felt prompted by the Spirt to tell him that he needs to tell his supervisor that she was very offended by their Christian literature.
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Thoughts on Christian Tolerance
I was retelling this to Curt on the way home from Church this morning. I have a hard time with members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints being tagged as an intolerant people in some cases. I have a hard time with this because as Latter-Day Saints we strive to live the teachings and principles of Jesus Christ on a daily basis. We ARE Christians! The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saint bookstores, such as Deseret Book, do NOT supply faithful members/Christians of any faith with ANY sort of ANTI- religious literature. We do not support bigotry of any kind. I believe there is good in virtually all religions and we share common fundamental Christian principles with those of other faiths. I'm appalled that such "Christian" bookstores would supply such literature as to stir up anger, contention, disbelief, in the hearts of men. (That's producing a form of hate if you ask me.) Curt reminded me that a lot of Church leaders receive their livelihood and daily income from their churches and the only thing they can do is take down other peoples beliefs in order to protect their own. In attempt to keep their members they "scare" them into thinking how wrong other religions are.... such as providing ANTI-literature. As to build up their confidence in what they believe by attacking others in their beliefs rather than just focusing on their beliefs. I think it's just horrible. We ARE a tolerant people, but we do not tolerate evil such as Anti-literature. The 11th Article of Faith of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints states - 11 We claim the aprivilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the bdictates of our own cconscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let themdworship how, where, or what they may. This means we do NOT print any ANTI-literature for any other religious faiths. We simply believe in Teaching True Doctrine.
Posted by JLynn at Sunday, April 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Our Sunday school teacher said one Sunday that he didn't think "Christians" were Christians because they certainly don't believe in the New Testament Christ that we do- i.e., the resurrection, baptism by immersion, and such. I thought that was a good and interesting comment- we believe in the NT Christ, not in a diluted form of Christ based on the whims of the times. But, all we can do is our best, speak up when prompted, and hope that people learn from our examples! Good post!
That is terrible about the literature in that store. I've always just gone to the Deseret Book store but that is sad that other stores sell such negative items. I agree with Christina - good post!
Sweet Thoughts Left