Friday, October 10, 2008

Curt's Politics

(My awesome, hunky husband wanted to contribute to the family blog... of course it's politics, but hey at least it's something... and you would NEVER read a political post from me! Love you Curty!)
This is Curt...and I just have to wonder if others are thinking the same way I am about this election.  There seems to be a lot of mud slinging and smear tactics from both sides.  Here’s how I think…that stuff is only entertainment and good tv, to me.  Yeah, it matters that Obama has very questionable associations whether political, business, or personal.  And yeah, it matters that McCain may have been involved in some scandal called the Keating 5.  Yes, those things matter to me.  But not as much as other issues like National Security and Economic Policies.  I’m not going to hide it…I’m conservative, a registered Republican, and a John McCain supporter.  But I’ve been thinking a lot about some of the things Obama is claiming to do, like cut spending to help pay for all of his promises and increase the tax on businesses and individuals earning over $250k a year.  But has anyone else read about where he plans to cut spending?  Or has anyone thought about that tax policy?  I’m pretty analytical and understand economics to some degree, though not an expert in any sense of the word.  I also like to think that I’m pretty logical when my mind starts to run.  In fact, Jen would say I try to solve too many things with logic.  Anyway…here’s my logic on these two issues…Barack Obama plans to cut spending on missile defense programs and other defense spending.  Does anyone NOT see a problem with this?  When there are countries out there trying to arm themselves, Obama wants to cut our defense spending.  I think his intentions are good, because that will help funnel more money into developing green technologies, re-focusing our military effort on Afghanistan, and other great ideas.  But we have gone just over 7 years without any terrorist attacks on US Soil.  Iran, in my opinion, is planning on developing a nuclear weapon.  When that happens, Israel will have one…Russia already has one.  And our front-running candidate for POTUS is someone who thinks we can cut spending on developing missile defense systems?  This boggles my mind.  Yes, I know we’re spending $10 billion a month in Iraqand they have a surplus.  By the way, did you know that several US oil companies were poised to gain valuable contracts with Iraq for oil.  Instead, John Kerry and others lobbied against these contracts and they went to China.  So now, China is profiting from Iraqi oil.  Anyway, that’s an entire different blog post.  For this one, I’m staying on National Security and Economic Policy.  I remember some of the talks that led up to the Iraq war.  Lots of people like to call it Bush’s war, and a war of lies.  Did we forget that it was Saddam Hussein that LIED and told the U.N. he had all these weapons of mass destruction.  It was during a cease fire in Desert Storm that Saddam agreed to U.N. officials to list all of his WMD’s.  AND HE DID.  I don’t remember what year it was, but it was years before 9/11.  During those years there were MULTIPLE U.N. resolutions and diplomacy acts to get U.N. inspectors into Iraq to inspect the progress of Saddam’s performance on his promise to get rid of his WMD’s.  Remember…it was Saddam’s leadership that kept forcing the inspectors out or blocking their entry.  Before 9/11 happened, Saddam was issued ONE LAST resolution by the U.N. to let in the UN inspectors.  And he agreed.  They went in and were kicked out after a few days.  They found no WMD’s.  But remember…it was Saddam who said he had them and refused to let the UN verify, despite agreeing to multiple UN resolutions.  Then the WTC is destroyed.  Al Qaida claimed responsibility.  We knew that Saddam wasn’t behind it.  However, there was a deadline that the UN agreed on, and it was broken.  There was a UNANIMOUS vote by the UN to invade Iraq.  My point is, the Iraq war would have happened regardless of 9/11 because it didn’t have much to do with Al Qaida.  It had to do w/ Saddam, a ruthless tyrant who was committing acts of genocide on his citizens, who would not follow through on promises to verify he had rid his country of WMD’s.  Yes, the war has been terribly mismanaged.  But it’s going much better since Patreus took over and the troop surge.  These same principles will help us get Bin Laden inAfghanistan or Pakistan, where ever he is.  Anyway, this is my VIEW on the war.  I’m sure I’ve left some details out, and I’m sure there have been lots of lies about it since it started.  But I think it’s important to understand the events that led up to it.  Obama wants to leave in 16 months.  Again, great intentions, sounds good to me, and it sounds great to a lot of Americans.  Because that means in 16 months, during an Obama administration, we’d have $10 billion more per month in saved costs on war.  HOWEVER…here’s the problem I see.  Obama says we’re going to have that extra money to be re-routed into the economy.  But then on the other hand he says we need to get out of Iraq responsibly so that we can focus our troops and our MONEY on Afghanistan.  We’ll still be spending $10 billion a month on war and that money would not be used for developing alternative energy.  My opinion.  Now…where does the money come from to pay for Obama’s plans…increased taxes on the wealthy.  As Joe Biden said, we need to make the wealthy Americans more patriotic.  I think his words were something like “it’s time to step up and be more patriotic…” speaking of taxing the wealthy.  They want to give 90% of Americans a tax break.  I’ve looked at that…because I’d love a tax break.  But my tax break isn’t going to be much.  It’s not going to be enough to help me afford gas, it’s not going to be enough to stave off the cost of healthcare, it’s just not enough to make a difference.  Now consider this…only 70% of Americans even pay any taxes, and this includes wealthy folks.  So one of two things is going to happen…either people who don’t pay any taxes are going to get money they didn’t earn (which is re-distribution of wealth, Robin Hood Socialism as I call it), OR the number is distorted as to how many will actually get a tax break.  On a national scale, those making less than $200k ONLY pay 2.9% of the income tax revenue.  So, my feeling is that this group of people isn’t paying much in taxes anyway, do they need a break on taxes?  No…they need a break on gas prices, they need a break on affording alternative fuel cars, they need a break on their heating bill, they need a break on their grocery bill.  In fact, my grocery bill is higher than my tax bill…is yours?  So here’s some logic…US Auto companies like GM and Ford aren’t making any money…so no tax increases for them.  But what if Obama’s policies work and save the world including the auto industry?  When GM and Ford start making profits, their income taxes are going up.  Since they’re struggling, they’ll have to pass the increase onto the consumers in order to stay profitable…this does not give us a break on buying flex fuel or hybrid vehicles, which are already expensive.  How about airline industries…many of them are still earning a profit.  So let’s tax their profits 50% more.  You saw what happened when fuel costs went up, it was passed on to consumers.  We can bet that increased taxes on airline revenues will increase the cost of a flight dollar for dollar.  Here’s one that hits close to home…I work in the steel industry where jobs are constantly being moved overseas.  Well many steel mills in the US are struggling, but still turning a profit…so let’s increase their tax bill by up to 50%.  This will FORCE them to look overseas even more just to stay in business.  And how about those ruthless, evil oil companies?  They MUST be taxed, because their 5% profit margin is way too high!  So, let’s not only eliminate the tax breaks they get now (which are contributing to their staggering 5% profit margin), let’s increase their taxes, let’s tax their outrageous windfall 5% profits and give it to us poor Americans.  If you can’t tell…I’m being very sarcastic here.  A tax increase on profitable business will RUIN our economy.  It will prevent companies like Exxon from investing in alternative fuels which they do currently.  It will increase the cost of groceries.  BUT…it will give you an extra $500 or so per year on your tax refund, maybe $1,000.  I like McCain’s proposal of doubling the child exemption, increasing the child tax credit, AND providing a $5,000 tax credit to purchase health insurance.  Sure, I’ll get taxed on the $5,000 as income…but so what?!  I don’t tell my employer “no, don’t give me a bonus this month because I don’t want to pay any taxes on the bonus!”  Would any of you turn down a raise at work because it would be taxed?  NO!!  So why would we be opposed to a McCain administration giving us a $5,000 tax CREDIT to purchase insurance just because he wants to tax it as income?  Ridiculous.  More logic…we have the 2nd highest business income tax in the WORLD.  We’re struggling right now.  Does anyone really think that if we become the 1st largest taxing country in the world we’ll somehow come out of a serious economic crisis?  Let’s shoot straight…Bush’s policies, doctrines, tax cuts, etc don’t have anything to do with our economy.  Our economy is this way because the democrats and some republicans wanted to make mortgages and home ownership available to people who could not afford it.  A noble proposal, with great intentions…but at the end of the day, if you’re spending more than you make…the program will fail miserably, which it has.  Our economic crisis is caused COMPLETELY because of the housing crisis, which is caused by the mortgage crisis, which was caused by people softening mortgage requirements and offering them to people who could not afford to pay.  The softening of mortgage qualifications came during the Clinton administration.  EVEN Bill Clinton is able to admit the cause of the crisis.  But Obama and his people think they can blame it on 8 years of failed Bush policies, which there are failed Bush policies.  But those failed policies didn’t affect the economy.  They affected the failure of other things, such as alternative fuel development (which McCain supported, Bush did not), education, war management (which McCain helped to fix), and some other things, but not the economy.  Until the mortgage crisis caught up with us, unemployment was decreasing, the economy was growing, businesses were growing.  Now businesses have a hard time getting loans to make payroll.  So my conclusion is that a vote for McCain will NOT be a vote for George Bush.  McCain is more to the center on most issues.  A vote for Obama will in fact be a vote for change…just not the kind of change my company can handle…let alone many of the companies out there that earn more than $250k per year in business income.  This is just my logical opinion.  If you agree or disagree, feel free to comment.  I like to hear different points of views.  I have a few liberal friends at work that are fun to talk to.

6 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

Jen, tell your hubby I said thanks for sharing his political views ! I am HUGE into politics and love talking to anyone that will listen. I agree with everything Curt said and do believe that Obama will be cutting spending on anything to do with the war. He has said he doesn't believe in war and would " turn the other cheek " if it ever came to that again.

Too bad he will most likely be the next President. I think it's time to move to Canada ; )

Christina said...

Oh, Curt- you and your FoxNews talking points:) Being realistic, BOTH candidates will HAVE to raise taxes- there is no way around it, we are so disgustingly in debt. People need to realize that the ONLY way to get out of debt is to either slash budgets OR increase the amount that goes into the pool. Realistically, both need to happen. There are certain programs that can't be cut: social security, education, health care- there are things in our infrastructure that must still be kept. I like roads. And bridges that don't collapse. And affordable health care. (Health care, of course, is another issue. It is disgusting that in the richest country in the world 50 million people have NO health care, and that under McCain's plan ANOTHER 20 million will be without health care! I cannot understand how anyone thinks it is ok to adopt a plan where 20 million MORE Americans will be without adequage health care- that is a situation that desperately needs to be addressed- but like I said, that is an entirely different barrel of apples that the next president must address). And I like being safe- but I don't like having my friends killed and in danger of their lives because Bush has an ego problem. The Iraqi's WANT us out of their country- they have asked us to leave. And, Bush has already put together a plan to have troops withdrawl. Why would we go against that???? You are right, we can't totally slash the defense budget, just the same as we can't totally slash the education budget or the police budget.
One thing that Obama brings to the table is hope. I don't care if that sounds cliche. The Republicans have had COMPLETE power the last 6 of 8 years, and have had the presidency the last 22of 30, and look at where we are. I am not saying Obama is some Messiah like the Republicans always say, but I am saying that perhaps with all of the problems this country is now facing, perhaps it is time to try something different. If in four years it doesn't work out, we get to vote again.
I bet, in reality, you and I would agree in principle on many things. But, I am willing to see that what has been tried in the past is NOT working. My mom just lost over $600,000 in her retirement thanks to the idea of "trickle down economics." Republicans want to say it was the dems who wanted deregulation, but if you look at the track record it is obvious it is the Reps who are the deregulators- and McCain has always said that he hated regulation.
I'm not trying to get into mudslinging- like I said, I really think we would agree on a lot of things. I really, truly believe, though, that with all the power the Reps have had the last 30 years, they need to stop blaming the Dems for all of the problems, and that maybe we should try something different for awhile. And, if we are worse off in four years, I will be the first to admit that we need another change!

Christina said...

This entry is bipartisan!!! Ben found this website:

http://www.electiontaxes.com/

that tells you how much you will pay in taxes based on who wins the election. Of course, let's be honest, every plan also has to be approved by Congress, so in all liklihood, neither tax plan will really go into effect, at least not without some major tweaks on both sides. But, it is interesting nevertheless!

JLynn said...

yes, we agree on a lot of issues and of course on the underlying principles. I've always believed that there are more than one solution to every problem. You're right, John McCain is in favor of deregulation...another thing that he an Bush disagree on. The last 8 years have seen a growth in govt. including regulations. However, when it comes to mortgage lending, McCain and many republicans were all in favor of reigning those folks in at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Sorry to hear of the loss your mom has suffered. I'm confident the markets will come back, and she'll get most, if not all of that money back. I'm sure it's a tough pill to swallow though. A lot of people have been saying that no matter who is elected, taxes have to go up. I really disagree though. Government revenue increased 20% w/ the Bush tax cuts. (I'll admit that one is a Fox News talking point...but nonetheless, it's true). When you cut corporate taxes, the largest corporations have more money to invest, more jobs are created, and more income is created to tax. Basically, you're taxing an exponentially increasing income at a lower rate. I agree, the "trickle down" effect doesn't work as Republicans would like to think...but if govt. needs more revenue and less spending, we can't raise taxes on the income that is used to pay us. If we do...there's less income to pay "us." This results in layoffs, increased unemployment, and jobs moving overseas just so our companies can compete. While increasing taxes seems to be a solution to bring more money in immediately...in the long run, companies close doors and there is less money to go around, including tax revenue. However, for people just starting businesses, which I have been considering...Obama's tax cuts on small business is appealing. But then those business don't typically employ many people. So if I start a business, it will be just me...and maybe one partner. It would be great for me, but wouldn't create any jobs. It's my opinion that encouraging small business growth by lowering their taxes doesn't create jobs. You've got to cut the taxes on the companies who can afford to expand and create additional jobs. John McCain will not be another 4 years of Bush policies. He'll have a whole democratic congress to work "across the aisle" with. He'll be like a kid in a candy shop. McCain is not as conservative as he's coming across right now. But he has to play to his conservative side to get Republicans to vote for him. And I'm sure Obama will bring a lot of change...but I think it will be further increase in the size of government...which, ironically is what Bush has been good at...increasing the size of govt.!

Christina said...

Well, we could go round and round for hours- no wonder it is taking Congress so long to figure it all out- thank goodness for checks and balances!
Here's a thought: My dad reads all kinds of books about the second coming and I guess one of the signs is that the Constitution would be hanging by a thread and the Elders of Israel would have to save it or something like that. With the passing of the Patriot Act, that took us one step closer to the Constituion being held by a thread- not saying it is the fall of the Constitution, just a piece of the puzzle perhaps. Anyway, my guess is that the economy will not be turned around in four years- it took 30 years to create, I don't think it will be solved in four years. That could lead the way for Romney to be elected. Now, I totally disagree with almost all of his policies- especially his education policies- BUT, he has proven to work across party lines in MA, and he really is an expert on the economy (I still think if McCain had chosen him, McCain would have a very good chance of winning- but, who would have thought we would be in the mess we are currently in? Well, Obama, but that is digressing once again). If we are still struggling with the economy, it might be a prime time for Romney to be elected. Maybe this is all just getting us one step closer to having an Elder of Israel leading this country- totally a random thought, but I thought it interesting nevertheless.

Oh, and my mom worked for Washington Mutual so her stock really is forever worthless. But what makes me really sad is that she is not the only one who lost 22years worth of savings. Thankfully, she has my dad (thank goodness for unions and pensions!), but others don't, and it is really sad that we are going to be seeing 80 year old janitors...

JLynn said...

yes, I agree with you...the constitution will hang by a thread in the last days. And we see a lot of issues testing it these days. Both candidates warned of this situation if Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac continued making bad loans. There are tons of videos on youtube from press conferences and congressional sessions of people explaining how great the results have been in getting low income people the mortgages they need to buy a house. There is one clip of Obama even admitting that the loans are highly risky for the banks, but that it's necessary to promote fairness to minorities and low income people. However, in fairness to Obama, he later stated in the same clip that the risk wasn't spread out very well and that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were forced to purchase clumps of bad mortgages. This is around the time he wrote the letters to President Bush and Henry Poulson. So if he gets elected, I don't think we're going to be ruined. I think the economy will pick up after the election no matter who is elected. Right now there is just so much uncertainty that is hurting our economy. Thanks for the comments...I think we agree on a lot of issues, but have different opinions on the solutions...I think that both solutions will work. No American will let our country go too far downhill.