Sunday, January 22, 2012

Look up

It is Better to Look Up- Carl B. Cook 
from October 2011 General Conference 


Today a lady in our ward gave a Sacrament talk based on this Conference talk. She was reading examples out of a book how when something bad happens to someone or they experience the loss of a child or spouse, lose their job, and numerous other examples of trial and then people say, "What a shame." I could understand this, because most often when people find out about my conversion to the gospel of Jesus Christ and my parents disowning me, I get that response, "What a shame". The lady giving the talk said how that leaves one feeling ashamed as if there was something that could have been done as to prevent the trial or loss. In most cases, our trials and losses in this life can not be prevented. We have to look up to the Lord and live. I know that the Atonement can give us strength to look upward and onward. I have experienced this in my own life. I don't like feeling ashamed and horrible as if my trials define who I am. If I didn't experience such unhappiness in the dysfunctional family I grew up in, I wouldn't have had need to seek to know God and Christ. I wouldn't know such happiness if I did not know such unhappiness. My life is joyful because I choose to look up.

2 comments:

Meagan said...

Love ya. :)

mad white woman said...

And look at you now. :)

I want a hot dog from Costco now - it's your fault.