Thursday, August 09, 2007

The CAT that got away

When we were in Sandpoint, Id last week up at the family reunion we took a 6:30am fishing trip out on Curt's dad's pontoon boat. Curt wanted Cache and I to go with him this year. It was fun. Cache and I both slept pretty much the whole time on the boat. Except for when I'd wake myself up with the motherly instincts of, "where's my baby? Is he okay?".

Curt and his dad fishing off the boat. See Curt was using our sister in law's fishing pole. You can't miss it, it's bright pink. Curt used it the previous night and caught a fish with it. So I guess he thought it was a good pole for him to use again. After a while, I got bothered that my husband was using a "girly" fishing pole. After all, fishing is a "manly" sport. So I kindly said to him, "Curt honey, you are not setting a good example for our son with that pink pole." He smiled and grabbed another pole then!:)
Just a little while after we were out in the boat, looking for a spot to fish. We stopped the boat by this steep cliff, (it looks more STRAIGHT DOWN in person). We weren't that far away from it all, maybe 50ft? We heard this CAT tractor trying to get revved up and then finally they got it started. Then all of a sudden the CAT was coming straight down the cliff in reverse!!!!! We all looked over at it in disbelief as the CAT was running down trees and making it's own path into the water! LUCKILY, the person who was in it jumped out of it from up top!!!!! Like I said we were SO CLOSE and as the CAT was making it's way down to the lake, we just heard it's speed and the trees crackling and falling over between the bushes! I kept saying, "Curt, I am scared.", as I held onto Cache. (I have found that in times where I REALLY am scared, that's the exact line that I always say. :) So thankful no body got hurt from that terrible accident. The owner/excavator of the CAT came over on his wave runner by the boat. He was telling us he just put safety belts in it and new cables and was trying to talk the guy who was using it into buying it. Curt's dad was telling us an 80-year old man died last year off that cliff in the same type of accident, IN THIS SAME CAT!!!!!! You'd think after one person died in it, you would total it out and would no longer use it for "business"! You know people will do anything to save a buck!!! That CAT obviously has bad omens, considering this is the 2ND time in one year it headed straight down the cliff!!!! Again though, luckily this time no one was in it and no one got hurt or died!!!! How awful!

See the CAT getting pulled out of the water.
We watched as the crane came over to pull it out of the water.
There's the CAT.

Near the spot where the CAT got away.


My boys. :)

0 comments: