Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Craving AND Ditching the Bottle

This is the restaurant Curt and I went to on a lunch date last October. Mmmmmm, I can smell the brick oven pizzas already!!!! I asked Curt to take me back there this weekend. :) I'm craving what we ate there last time...
smoked portobello - WOOD OVEN SMOKED PORTOBELLO, MOZZ, MARINARA & FRESH OREGANO

oven baked doughnut "Denver's best" - WITH CHOCOLATE

YUM.
I'm looking forward to it. :)

I always HATE having to say, "Because I don't have a gall-bladder", to explain things. BUT sometimes I just have to. :) So I've been wanting pizza for awhile now, but most kinds that come delivered to my door make me sick. None of them sound appetizing to me anymore. They've all lost their appeal since the last time I ate Pizza Hut. It made me real sick and that was sad because it used to be my favorite delivery pizza. The Pizza Hut days are over. They use way too much butter in their crust, (butter is a killer for me) and that mixed with the grease is no good. Ick, makes me feel sick just thinking about it. So I can't wait to have a yummy, gourmet brick-oven pizza to satisfy my pizza craving!

I've acutally been reading Cache's baby books lately. Cache has been such an angel his first year and so good with everything, I probably only picked them up a few times his first year for a couple things. Now that Cache is entering into the toddler stage I figure I better read up on some of the transitions and changes that are to be made in his next year. I like to be ahead of the game on some things. (at least know what should be coming/happening at a certain time) Instead of waiting til it's the exact time to start something new with him. Or when it's too late to ease into something new and there's no longer enough allotted time for an adjustment period.

So I would like to wean Cache off the bottle in the next two months. I would like Cache to be bottle-free around 13 1/2 - 14 months. (that is my time line I have projected. we will see how cache does.) Cache has only had his bottles when it's time for a feeding and he needs them. We've never just given him the bottles. So since I figure Cache only associates his bottles with "milk/food" and not as a comfort aid, it shouldn't be that hard. Well, still this is what I think so we'll have to see how good Cache really is at giving up his bottles. So we've been teaching Cache to drink out of a cup since he was about 6 months old. He still hasn't mastered it, because in the past we've only done it for practice every now and then. I'm hoping that Cache will take to the transition from bottle to cup quite well. Alternating between cup and sippy to get the bottles out of the picture. (I don't want to be lazy about this transition!) But I guess the bottles will be sticking around, until he can actually drink well enough from cups and the sippy to get enough milk. Now that he is getting older, I don't want him to look at the bottle as "the only way" to get his milk. Cache has done fine with his supplemented whole milk bottles and eating yogurts too. I'm excited to make the transition to exclusively whole milk for Cache. I'm anticipating lots of spills from "the cup" and Cache throwing a fit over it, because it's too difficult for him to get his milk as fast as he would like. :) This next stage should be fun. :) year I should say. I am getting glimpses of Cache's willfulness now. I know it's just a preview for the toddler years. I know Cache's bottle serves as a source of instant gratification now, so I guess the bottle will be really gone when he's willing to give them up, right?! Well I actually have to go feed Cache right now!



4 comments:

Kristina said...

I transitioned my first two from bottle to sippy with a NUBY. Its soft silicone like a bottle but a sippy top. They used those starting at 10 months and we were able to DITCH the bottle completely at 12 months. Then once they mastered the NUBY (an easier type of sippy really) We transitioned into a hard top sippy. Now they are ages 2 and 3 and drink from a reg. cup haha. It wont be as hard as you think. PROMISE! The hardest part will be if you put them to sleep with a bottle (my sister in law is having the hardest time get her son weaned off)

JLynn said...

yeah, we're using the Avent sippy cups, it's got a hard sippy part. it can be put on an avent bottle too. i fed cache a little bit out of a bottle today and then he drank the rest out of the sippy cup. he can sip out of a cup if i hold it for him. he's doing good with the sippy cup part i just know it will be a transition he'll have to get used too all the time. cache has never been capped-off/ topped-off whatever you call it with a bottle for bedtime. Cache has never needed a bottle to go to bed/sleep, so we won't have a hard time there. :) thanks for sharing, Kristina.

Kami Milliron said...

Cache seems like a very relaxed, happy Boy and I bet you don't have any problems getting him off the bottle.

Good luck and keep us posted !

mad white woman said...

for a while now i've been giving clara water in her sippy cup so that as she's learning to get used to it, it's with a pretty mess-free liquid. just a thought. :)