It's been very cold here in the Co. Curt said it was minus 1 degree when he went to work today. When it gets that cold, it's so frigid and bitter, it really hurts to be that cold. :( Since I moved away from Arizona, I've had plenty of experiences of winters full of snow. In the winter of '03 I drove in this horrible blizzard. I was leaving Salt Lake headed back to Rexburg, ( which is usually a 3 1/2 hour drive and it took me from 9am-6pm). That was the scariest winter storm I've ever been in. It was a "White Out" storm. Everything is white, you can NOT see anything and you feel like you are driving right into a white wall. I remember just clutching onto the steering wheel the whole time, praying that my little life would be preserved. I'm so thankful I've always been watched out for. :) I also remember while living in Rexburg during the winter, when I walked out the door my nose hairs instantly froze. Seriously it was that cold. It's a wierd feeling and I hate that bitter cold air, because it physically hurts!
You'd think after all my winters and experiences in Idaho, Washington, and Colorado that I would be a polar bear by now and learn to deal with it. But no, I'm not. :) I'm going to be very honest here about how I feel about the snow right now. THe news said that Denver has gotten 20.9" of snow this December. Last year, in December of '06 we got TWO awful blizzards and the total snow for the month was 29.4". The weather man was saying how it's like the 3rd December where we've gotten the most snow on record. Denver broke a record just this past Christmas day for getting the most snowfall ever accumulated in the Denver metro area. I remember in '05 we got hardly any snow. Curt and I like the snow that comes and goes by the next day. :) The weather people here are "known" to give inaccurate forecasts. When they say it will snow, it's sunny. When they say it will be sunny, it's snowing. They just can't seem to get the days right, because that's how it pretty much is here. It has been like that the past 4 days. Snowed, Sunny-blue sky, Snowed, Sunny-blue blue sky. I love how pretty the snow looks. How the snow glistens and sparkles. It's really pretty. I just get tired of lacing up my shoes and putting on 3 layers of clothes to stay warm when we go out. Getting ready to go out into the snow is a process for our little family. :) I did not have to buy a pair of "shoes" until I moved to Rexburg. I didn't know people actually wore shoes during the winter and not flip flops until I lived in Idaho.
We are not "boarders". I don't have the patience to drive into the mountains this time of year (it's increased HOURS of travel time with the high volume of traffic headed west into the Rockies to all the ski resorts). More importantly though, Curt has a bad back that he's had for years (a ruptured disk, hurt on his mission and then when he worked doing tires for Les Schwab). So Curt can't ski or board. Curt enjoyed Snowmobiling very much during his college years and winters in Rexburg. Unfortunately we did not meet until summertime, so I never got to experience the thrills of his snowmobiling days with him. So what I'm trying to say is we don't play in the snow and our kid is too little to really "go sledding". We really look forward to playing in the snow with Cache when he's older. Really we do, because now we don't do much. Curt was telling me today to jump off our patio into the snow and make a snow angel. :) This is the time of year we should be visiting Arizona. We always find it the "most convenient" to travel to the valley of the sun in the summer. Why??? I don't know. We really need to change that. :) I'm grateful we live in the co. Don't get me wrong, it really has felt like "home" to us ever since we moved here in May '05. I can not believe it's almost been 3 years. We've pretty much lived in Colorado our entire married life together. Wow. So we got snow and plenty of it right now. :)
5 comments:
Hey. Looks like you have quite a bit of snow. But I do remember reading a post a while back saying that you are used to the weather there now. And you can leave your house in just a jacket. That's okay though, you live in Colorado, so maybe tomorrow it will be 80 degrees. haha! Good luck in keeping warm! We love you guys.
yeah we can leave in just our hoodies when it's not below the teens. curt said we were in our hoodies today in the 30's. it all depends. :) remember i'm a native arizonian. it was nice hearing from you guys on the phone today and chatting with brandi the other day too! thanks for calling us! we love you guys too!
Oh my gosh, I'm complaining over here because it's in the 50's - I couldn't imagine living in the teens! The year I was at BYU I felt like I was cold the ENTIRE time I was there! I'm not a fan of cold weather. I wonder how people live with toddlers and can't go outside all the time. I would go so stir crazy! I know we have crazy hot summers, but you can still go out and go swimming and be active and stuff. So basically I guess this is my pitch to get you guys to move back to Mesa!!! We love you guys and I hope it warms up there soon!
And oh, I'm very glad that you made it through your blizzard - crazy!
Love the snow pics! Hey, I keep meaning to call you but of course things have been crazy. I got in a car accident today...I thought about you brining me crunch candy bars (in 2000 car accident)and missed you! Hopefully this accident injuries won't take so long to heal. The car accident wasn't my fault but it was very scary and it shook me up! hope you guys have a great new year!
Sure Jen, just rub it in !
Someday, when Tyler and I move up there, I am going to throw a huge snowball at you : )
Sweet Thoughts Left